Friday, February 6, 2009

Yank, Thud and Shake

The economy hit our family this week.
I got a call from Galen yesterday afternoon.
"They cut five of us, hon."
"Us?" I think. "You mean to say, 'They cut five of THEM', right?"
"Me, and four others. We've been let go."

[Yank.]

Galen continues later that day, "I have two options. Severance package, or a 'redeployment' position in the Sales office." Further details are ellucidated.
Sales? But you were promoted from Sales three years ago. Really? Sales? As in, back on the road, twelve hour days, meeting quotas... that Sales?
"I'm thirty four years old, and I'm back where I started. Where am I going? What am I doing? It's like two steps forward, and three steps back, you know?"

[Thud.]

"It's more than what most people have. It's a scary time to be out of work. If the economy were better, I'd take the severance package and go somewhere else."
If the economy were better, you wouldn't have been let go.
"We have debt, four kids, and a need for continued benefits. It's a steady paycheck. That's more than what most people have right now, hon. Somebody fought to give me this opportunity to stay with this institution. They could have just as easily fired me outright, with no options at all."
True... We still have reasons to praise. It's something. It's something to hang on to while we try to find the ground underneath us again.
I look at Galen's crestfallen face.
I just want you to be happy. I don't want you to be hurting like this. I want you to LOVE going to work. And you LOVE your job where you are. Where you were.
"God has taken care of us through much worse," I say. "We can all make this work. We'll all do what we need to do, and we'll be fine. The same Hand that is sovereign over this is the same Hand that is going to carry us through it."
Maybe we were getting too comfortable in our lives, and God decided it was time to shake things up a bit.

[Shake.]

Shake off your pride, the Lord says. Shake off your self-imposed sense of security. I am the only security you'll ever need. Shake off your ideas of your plans, your successes, your future. I know the plans I have for you. Nothing you have has ever been yours. It's Mine. You have no right to temper tantrums over what I've ordained for you. My thoughts are not your thoughts, My ways are not your ways. I have brought you out of bondage. My grace is sufficient for you. Turn to Me, and let Me shake the fruit out of the tree of your lives, and let's see what's really being produced.

Here I am, Lord. Here we are.

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Bunning Family,
    Each and every day since our move here to McPherson, Patrick and I have been able to say that God has been good to us. He has placed us in a wonderful community with opportunities to serve those around us and to serve Him. We are so grateful to be raising our family here in McPherson...and we are even more thankful that we have been able to stay put for almost 2 years...just typing that makes me giddee inside!

    However, with all the blessings, God does not hold us exempt from struggles! He isn't doing this because He doesn't love us...He is doing it because it helps the "bigger" picture that we cannot see at this time, start to develop.

    Patrick recently applied and interviewed for the head principal's position at McPherson Middle School. It would have provided our family an opportunity for a substantial pay increase, opportunity for Patrick professionally, and we felt it truly was the right thing to do. We made it through the week of interviewing beautifully...patiently waiting, knowing there would be an entire week of interviews taking place. Then it hit...Patrick did not get the job...our ideas of opportunities were shot! Patrick felt disappointed...we all have a little ego in us and when it is bruised, it hurts...and that is good...it means that we loved what we were doing!

    It was really hard for each of us to say right off that it is ok...and at times, it still isn't. But I know that God is watching over us in these hard economic times...and He is watching over ALL of us...and that includes your family...

    Galen, I know that OU is grateful for your hard work, dedication, and commitment to making that institution of learning successful and significant. I believe that is why there was such a drive in keeping you there...

    Blakely, it is hard to sit by when the ones we love are hurt...but God asks us to do that and to do it humbly...hard, oh my goodness, how I know!

    We love all of you and pray that you continue to seek God for comfort through all of this. I am so thankful that Galen is still employed, just as I am grateful that Patrick is still the assistant principal...

    Please know that if you need anything, just call or email...I know we are 2 hours away by time, but we hold you very close at heart!

    Blessings,
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Galen & Blakely,

    I’m so sad for you…and for OU. I'm so thankful that you are trusting the Lord with your present and your future.

    My prayer is that God will continue to grant you strength, peace and the ability to turn your disappointment into an offering of praise.

    Love in Christ,
    Ade

    Blessed Be Your Name
    by Matt Redman
    - - -
    Blessed Be Your Name
    In the land that is plentiful
    Where Your streams of abundance flow
    Blessed be Your name

    Blessed Be Your name
    When I'm found in the desert place
    Though I walk through the wilderness
    Blessed Be Your name

    Every blessing You pour out
    I'll turn back to praise
    When the darkness closes in, Lord
    Still I will say

    Blessed be the name of the Lord
    Blessed be Your name
    Blessed be the name of the Lord
    Blessed be Your glorious name

    Blessed be Your name
    When the sun's shining down on me
    When the world's 'all as it should be'
    Blessed be Your name

    Blessed be Your name
    On the road marked with suffering
    Though there's pain in the offering
    Blessed be Your name

    Every blessing You pour out
    I'll turn back to praise
    When the darkness closes in, Lord
    Still I will say

    Blessed be the name of the Lord
    Blessed be Your name
    Blessed be the name of the Lord
    Blessed be Your glorious name

    Blessed be the name of the Lord
    Blessed be Your name
    Blessed be the name of the Lord
    Blessed be Your glorious name

    You give and take away
    You give and take away
    My heart will choose to say
    Lord, blessed be Your name

    ReplyDelete