Thursday, March 5, 2009

If you're not in Kansas today, I feel sorry for you.
It's 78 degrees today, which is fantastic in and of itself. Forty-eight hours ago, it was *just* above freezing and there was snow on the ground. (The midwest is a meteorologist's DREAM, I tell ya.)
But what I'm REALLY excited about, is something I saw in my yard today.
Today, I saw in my dilapidated ol' flower bed some tiny green shoots just peeking out from the old mulch.
That one dash of green amongst the sea of sad brown in one fell swoop wiped away my "winter contentment" and has infected me henceforth with "spring fever." Talk about your air-borne viruses. I don't know if there's an antibiotic for this particular fever, but even if there is, I don't want it. It's a fever I'm savoring right now. I will relish in it for WEEKS, I promise you.
And, it's a fever most likely all the more complicated by the rash treatment we made on our old shrubs late last fall.
Let me ellucidate this backstory:
It starts with my house color: I hate it. I have since I first laid eyes on it. It's just not me, not US. I've been itching and planning to get it all painted away since we closed on the house, no lie. Compounding that problem was my deep-seated dislike on the over-grown barbury and evergreen shrubs which were dominating the front facade.
Last fall, I had in my wee little brain the idea that "now" would be the perfect time and weather to paint. But, of course, we have to get rid of the old shrubs first! That just makes sense, right?!
So we organized a day for both sets of our parents to come to our house, with chains and ball-hitches in tow, and yank that horrid flora-mess out of my yard.
Said yanking and further lawn clean up ensued relatively easily enough, praise be. SO, now... it's time to paint.
Late September went by... still plenty of time.
Early October slipped through our fingers... well, we were busier than we thought we'd be.
Late October zipped past, laughing and pointing at us... WHEN are we going to get this done?
Early November was a blur... Do we dare start NOW?
And then... Thankgiving. I had to admit defeat.
So, the roots of any existing flora lying dormant in the ground hasn't been the only thing "sleeping" this winter. My precious manilla folder containing my paint samples and landscape plans has been gathering dust in my desk drawer.
And now, according to that one glance of that one small green shoot, it's time to rifle out my plans and succumb to the fire of the fever.
Spring Fever, that is.
[sniff]
Just enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment